Search This Blog

Monday, February 15, 2010

Term Project Description: Comparing MMORPG's and Second LIfe

I will be comparing Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games with Second Life, a 3D virtual world. This is going to be a hard subject to research on since i doubt the Second Life nor MMORPGs will have many scholarly articles written about them, let alone having even any articles describing them. The points that can really speak for themselves is that in both situations you are in a virtual world. What I would need to compare is how does using Second Life, in terms of setting, communicating, moving around, shopping, and related aspects, allows Second Life to be separated from the MMORPG group. Although I seem to have a gist of the differences, like I said, the hard part is finding articles, especially scholarly ones, to back up my theories.

1 comment:

  1. I can definitely attest to the difficulty in finding research on this sort of topic. I can count on my fingers how many times I've seen any mention of video games (not even MMO specific) in mainstream printed publications. Out of those few times I actually have seen them mentioned, none of them strayed from being either...
    1. Reviews of games that just about everyone is going to buy anyway
    2. Crime-related articles playing the blame game

    There's always general video game news and MMO news sites, at least.

    ReplyDelete